I could not agree with Brother Sonny more. I’ve been working on a post just like this, but he has made the point better than I ever could.
This is just an excerpt of his article. To read it in its entirety, and learn more about his ministry, go HERE.
. I believe that the real reason America is in the midst of this moral crisis has less to do with worldly leaders in the government and more to do with Christian leaders in the pulpit.
Sure, I’m heart-sick over the number of near-sighted Christians who are expressing compromised convictions about homosexuality, but that grief does not compare to the disappointment I have in the Christian leaders who have brought us here.
Allow me to explain.
Christians Posting Rainbows
Is it just me or does anyone else see the direct connection between the doctrines of convenient Christianity and our present crisis of moral compromise? For years, some of the most outspoken leaders of evangelical Christianity have been unknowingly conditioning us for just such a time as this. Like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, Satan has infiltrated the ranks and has used well-meaning Christians to undermine the spiritual discipline of the Christian community.
Consider a few observations about several popular doctrines:
• If we are taught that everyone is born into sin (Total Depravity), why wouldn’t we conclude that homosexuals are just born that way? Since it is by God’s predestined design that they are who they are, why wouldn’t we celebrate their advancements?
• If we are taught that predestination means we have no influence over our own eternal destiny (Unconditional Election), why wouldn’t we conclude that life is meant to be enjoyed rather than a journey that requires free-will discipline and self-control?
• If we are taught that Jesus only died for some and the rest are predetermined to go to Hell (Limited Atonement), why wouldn’t we de-emphasize personal responsibility within the message of evangelism? Why wouldn’t we compromise and just try to coexist?
• If we are taught that we have no responsibility to accept God’s gift because that would mean we are earning it (Irresistible Grace), why wouldn’t we skip over the direct commands of God that require free-will acceptance of grace? Why wouldn’t we assume that other commands of God (condemnation of homosexuality) are also open to selective obedience?
• If we are taught once saved, always saved (Perseverance of the Saints), why wouldn’t we just settle in, compromise in order to coexist, and preach entitlements as the enticement doctrine
When God becomes Santa Claus, His Fatherhood is diminished and our personal responsibility is discredited. For decades, the cancerous doctrines of convenient Christianity have been undermining our culture’s resolve to be disciplined. Christianity sets the bar. Since Christian leaders have lowered that bar to the level of selective obedience, it’s no wonder so many Christian folks are now posting rainbows and celebrating sin.
Unfortunately, the present “Love Wins!” movement has been set up perfectly by those who emphasize a perverted view of grace. The doctrine of grace without human responsiI’mbility leads to a culture that believes they are entitled to acceptance without surrender to God.